The Coral Cup is a relatively new spectacle for those of us who know the roots and history of many of the longer serving races at the festival.
In 1993 the first ever Coral Cup was contested at Cheltenham and unlike many races at the festival, Coral have continued to sponsor the race for the proceeding 19 years. That’s right, only one sponsor has ever been behind the race, which is something the Sportsbook Guardian team approve of, loyalty.
The Coral Cup is now a grade 3 handicap race, having had its graded status improved in 1999.
- The Coral Cup is classified as a class 1, grade 3 National Hunt Handicap Hurdle.
- The race will be contested at a start time of 16:00 on day two of the Cheltenham Festival.
- The race is open to horses aged four years old and above.
- The race is run over 2 miles and 4.5 furlongs.
- There are ten hurdles to be jumped in the race.
- The purse in 2012 was circa £69, with first place receiving just under £40k